Monday, April 14, 2008

colorinteraction. black and white vs color.



Why is it that when someone sees a color or black and white image they usually prefer one over the other? Is it because the color sparks something in their brain triggering them to interpret it a certain way? Or maybe with black and white and the lack of color they feel free to interpret the image freely, imagining what colors might be there and opening up a slue of possibilities.

For me, I like the subtleties of black and white. I think personally the lack of color helps me focus on the subject a little better. In some cases color can make the subject more apparent, but the fun is in the search. I like images with no clear subject that jumps out at you. You've got to dig.



If anything, right now, I guess I prefer black and white because of my lack of experience in the color realm. Just barely getting my feet wet, so to speak, in the massive world of photography I still have a lot to learn. Get back to me in a year and we'll see how I feel then.

No comments: